[Python-Dev] IPv6 bug in 2.3.4??

David G Mills dgm at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Oct 27 15:53:13 CEST 2004

Hey there,

I've noticed a potential bug and wanted to see if anyone else can
replicate it, or has also seen it. When creating a socket with
getaddrinfo, with the address family set to AF_UNSPEC and the host set to
localhost, the socket binds to IPv4 instead of IPv6. When using the FQD of
the machine it binds to IPv6. I've tested the same code on two different
machines, and the one running python 2.3.3 works as it should, but the
python 2.3.4 doesn't.

Anyone seen this? Can you replicate the error? Any help would be
appreciated. Oh yeah, I'm running on FC2 on the 2.3.4 machine and redhat
8 on the 2.3.3 machine.

Cheers,

David.