[Python-Dev] TRUNK UNFROZEN (release is done)

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Oct 26 22:14:12 CEST 2004

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:

>>  > which is tedious to do.
>>
>> It is *much* less so with subversion. We should switch. :)
>

> Both Barry and you make this claim, which makes me curious.
> How precisely is it more easy to apply the same change to two
> branches in subversion? Being a long time subversion user,
> I'ld normally just use the same procedure I use in CVS, i.e.
> just apply the patch twice, and commit it twice.

With CVS either:

- When creating the branch, I have to be very carreful about tags,
   so that I can tell CVS to apply differences made between the 2 tags, or

- I have to apply changes to each individual file affected.

With subversion, every revision is is effectively a tag.  Merging
is usually just a matter of merging differences between 2
repository revision numbers.  This makes a huge difference when
multiple files are involved.

>> I think that branching would tend to enforce the feature freeze.
>

> Hmm. I'm both uncertain whether that would indeed be the case,

I find that having a separate branch makes it absolutely
unambiguous that only bug fixes should be created there. <shrug>

 > and
> whether it would be a good thing. You seem the be saying that there
> would be less changes on the branch. That might be the case.

I'm saying that there would be fewer feature changes made. This
definately seems like a good thing if features are supposed to be
frozen.

Python hasn't always done a good job of avoiding feature changes
during beta cycles or on maintenence branches.  If avoiding changes
in such situations is desireable, as I think it is, then extra process
to discourage such changes would be good.

Jim