[Python-Dev] TRUNK UNFROZEN (release is done)

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Oct 26 15:28:36 CEST 2004

Michael Hudson wrote:
> Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> writes:
>

>>Anthony Baxter wrote:
>>
>>>The first beta is out, so the trunk is unfrozen, and available for
>>>checkins.
>>>Now that we're in beta, we shouldn't see any new features or
>>>behaviour
>>>changing fixes going into the trunk, unless it's been seen and agreed
>>>to on python-dev.
>>
>>Why not create a release branch?  That would free up the trunk for new work
>>and reduce the chance of new features creeping in.
>>
>>I realize this is discussed briefly in PEP 101, but that PEP doesn't
>>give a rational for waiting until the final release to make a release branch.
>>It makes more sense to me to make the branch when features are frozen,
>>which means the beta.
>

> Didn't this get tried before?

I dunno.

This is what we do for Zope, and I think it works well.

 > Are you volunteering to port all the
> various bugfixy type things from whichever branch they get committed
> on to the other?

I'm not talking about any new branches.  I'm just suggesting that the
branch should be made when features are frozen, rather than waiting until
the final release.

BTW, if we switched to subversion, porting fixes accross branches would
become a lot easier.

Jim