Need better packaging (was Re: [Python-Dev] SQLite module for Python 2.5)

Brett C. bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Oct 22 08:14:11 CEST 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Brett C. wrote:
>
>> Jim Fulton wrote:

>>> I think you hit the nail on the head.  For myself, I think we want to
>>> make it *much* easier to install 3rd-party tools.  I also think we need
>>> to make it *much* easier to *update* the modules that come with Python
>>> without having to wait for a new Python release (much as it is easy to
>>> update packages in a linux distribution).
>>>

>> OK, so is everyone
>

> So far, we're far from everyone. :)

I have a tendency of talking too broadly when it comes to referring to others
as a group.

>  > just talking about coming up with our own version of
>
>> CPAN, or does this also include replacing Distutils?
>

> I see this building on or working with distutils.

OK.

>> And for those of you not in the Mac world, MacPython already has
>> something called packman that downloads 3rd-party apps and installs
>> them by running their setup.py scripts.
>

> Right, I refered to that in my note.

Oops.  Sorry.  Been doing a networking assignment this week and it has
thoroughly fried my brain.

-Brett