Need better packaging (was Re: [Python-Dev] SQLite module for Python 2.5)

Brett C. bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Oct 21 19:30:28 CEST 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
>> Maybe we should have this discussion on more general grounds:
>> do we really want a fat Python distribution or should we focus
>> more on making installation of third-party tools easier ?
>

> I think you hit the nail on the head.  For myself, I think we want to
> make it *much* easier to install 3rd-party tools.  I also think we need
> to make it *much* easier to *update* the modules that come with Python
> without having to wait for a new Python release (much as it is easy to
> update packages in a linux distribution).

OK, so is everyone just talking about coming up with our own version of CPAN,
or does this also include replacing Distutils?

And for those of you not in the Mac world, MacPython already has something
called packman that downloads 3rd-party apps and installs them by running their
setup.py scripts.

-Brett