[Python-Dev] SQLite module for Python 2.5

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Oct 21 10:16:01 CEST 2004

Skip Montanaro wrote:
>     Bob> By default can mean that Python builds a SQLite wrapper if SQLite
>     Bob> is available, just like it does for bsddb, readline, etc.
>
> Then why not MySQLdb, psycopg and sybase-python also?  No slight intended
> against PySQLite, but those other wrapper modules have been around quite a
> bit longer I think.

SQLite plays in a different league: it is much more like Sleepycat
DBM than a full-blown multi-user database engine where you'd use
one of the many other database modules.

But I understand what you're saying: by placing one of the many
possible solutions into the distribution we would be playing
Microsoft, in a sense, by branding this one solution as "better"
simply because it's easier to use.

However, I don't see this happening in the Python world. E.g.
take a look at PyXML vs. the vast and healthy set of tools available
through third-parties. Placing PyXML into the core hasn't killed
off these external projects.

Maybe we should have this discussion on more general grounds:
do we really want a fat Python distribution or should we focus
more on making installation of third-party tools easier ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 21 2004)