[Python-Dev] SQLite module for Python 2.5

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Thu Oct 21 05:53:30 CEST 2004

    Bob> By default can mean that Python builds a SQLite wrapper if SQLite
    Bob> is available, just like it does for bsddb, readline, etc.

    >> Then why not MySQLdb, psycopg and sybase-python also?  No slight
    >> intended against PySQLite, but those other wrapper modules have been
    >> around quite a bit longer I think.

    Phillip> Well, one difference is that none of the databases you just
    Phillip> listed are embeddable.  There has to be a separate database
    Phillip> server process.  SQLite, like other "database" modules in the
    Phillip> stdlib, just stores data in a disk file.

It seems people misunderstood my comment.  I should have been more clear.  I
see no reason PySQLite should be accorded better status than any of the
other relational database wrappers.  If MySQLdb, etc aren't included with
the distribution I don't think PySQLite should be either.  I realize it's
easier to administer a PySQLite database than a PostgreSQL database, but
from a pure client standpoint there's nothing really easier about it.  By
including PySQLite we'd somehow be blessing it as a better SQL solution than
the other options.  That means it will almost certainly be stretched beyond
its limits and used in situations where it isn't appropriate (multiple
writers, writers that hold the database for a long time, etc).  That will
reflect badly on both SQLite and Python.

Skip