[Python-Dev] SQLite module for Python 2.5

Gustavo Niemeyer niemeyer at conectiva.com
Wed Oct 20 19:22:24 CEST 2004

Hello Gerhard,

> - Uses iterator-style SQLite 3.x API: sqlite3_compile, sqlite3_step()
>   etc. This way, it is possible to use prepared statements, and for
>   large resultsets, it requires less memory, because the whole
>   resultset isn't fetched into memory at once any longer.

I'm anxiously waiting for the 3.x-based version!

[...]
> - "In the face of ambiguity, refuse the temptation to guess." -
[...]
>   So I decided to change the default behaviour and make PySQLite
>   typeless by default, too. Everything will be returned as a Unicode
>   string (the default might be user-configurable per connection).

I'm wondering if it would be possible to introduce a mechanism
allowing one to *explicitly* set column conversion functions at
query time. This would avoid having to manually convert rows on
every access.

[...]
> So, what would you like to see? "import sqlite", "import embsql", or
> "pypi.install('pysqlite')" ?

Even though I'm a big fan of sqlite and pysqlite, my personal
feeling is that SQL databases in general are better delivered
as add-on modules.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net