[Python-Dev] SQLite module for Python 2.5

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Oct 20 19:18:01 CEST 2004

On Oct 20, 2004, at 13:05, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> Gerhard Haering wrote:
>> Hi python-dev-elopers,
>> Last December, we had a short thread discussing the integration of
>> PySQLite into Python 2.4. At the time, I was against inclusion,
>> because I thought PySQLite was not ripe for it, mostly because I
>> thought the API was not stable.
>> [...]
> >
>> I think that a simple embedded relational database would be a good
>> thing to have in Python by default. And as Python 2.5 won't happen
>> anytime soon, there's plenty of time for developing it, getting it
>> stable, and integrating it.
>
> SQLite is a gem and PySQLite works great, but I don't see why we
> should start adding third-party tools of this size (>38k LOC C code)
> to the standard Python distribution.

I don't think he ever said that the SQLite source tree should go into
Python.  By default can mean that Python builds a SQLite wrapper if
SQLite is available, just like it does for bsddb, readline, etc.
Binary builds for Win32 and Mac should of course ship with a copy of
SQLite for use by the PySQLite extension (w/ a dll or just statically
linked in).  Heck, Mac OS X 10.4 will be shipping with SQLite anyway
<http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/unix.html>!

> Perhaps you we should consider adding only the Python interface
> and then ship a DLL with the Windows installer like we do for
> expat and the Sleepycat DBM ?!

Python includes expat, doesn't it?

-bob