[Python-Dev] Patches

Oleg Broytmann phd at mail2.phd.pp.ru
Wed Oct 20 09:14:11 CEST 2004

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 02:20:12AM -0400, Raymond Hettinger wrote:
> [Oleg Broytmann]
> > http://python.org/sf/754022
> >    This is the biggest and the oldest. It hangs in the tracker since
> > Python 2.2. In short, it makes the webbrowser.py runs through
> _tryorder
> > list of browsers and trie to run every browser until one started
> > successfully. Currently webbrowser.py tries to run a browser and if it
> > fails - stops trying. Assigned to Fred Drake.
>
> This should probably wait until Py2.5

   Of course.

> > http://python.org/sf/784089
> >    A program to scan python files and list those require -*- coding
> -*-
> > directive. Reviewed by Marc-Andre Lemburg and Andrew Kuchling.
>
> I will clean this one up a bit and add it Tools/scripts.

   Thank you!

> > http://python.org/sf/821862
>
> Is there a real need for this?  As you mention in the patch, FTP is
> usually not run over telnet.

   It often runs over telnet - I use ProFTPd which implements telnet
without an option to turn it off. The problem is that I cannot use
ftplib.py to grab files from my own server :( Most Unix servers implement
telnet, but 7-bit ASCII-only filenames hide the fact.
   Making ftplib.py more RFC-compliant with backward compatibility is a
good thing, in my opinion.

Oleg.
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru