[Python-Dev] Cyclic GC issues

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Oct 14 15:35:23 CEST 2004

Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> writes:

> On Wed, Oct 13, 2004, Jason Evans wrote:
>>
>> Indeed.  This brings up a question about documentation: as far as I
>> know, I've read all of the available documentation regarding cyclic GC
>> (the "Supporting cyclic garbage collection" section of "Extending and
>> Embedding the Python Interpreter"), but those docs came nowhere near
>> giving me an adequate understanding of the design rationale behind the
>> cyclic GC.  Did I overlook some documentation?
>>
>> Of course, it may be that I am actually at a cognitive disadvantage
>> to someone who has only experienced Python's memory management
>> strategy...
>
> As Tim said earlier, though less pungently, "Read the source, Luke."

Indeed, but also: don't be scared!  Modules/gcmodule.c isn't that
long, and much of what it is is comments.  Mind you, it was probably
easier to understand before it worked properly with weak references...

Cheers,
mwh

--
  Unfortunately, nigh the whole world is now duped into thinking that
  silly fill-in forms on web pages is the way to do user interfaces.