[Python-Dev] Struct module format code addition

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Wed Oct 13 17:37:38 CEST 2004

> Looking at the struct feature request, I think it would be harmless to
> add it.  OTOH, it is easily handled in python and will be easier still
> when the binascii functions get put in.  Arguably, the feature is
> somewhat trivial and won't change anyone's life for good or ill.

It makes processing one's data a 1-pass affair rather than a 2-pass
affair.  Not a big deal for most, but it gets me about a 20% speedup on
a few formats, and saves me from writing custom translations every time
I want some nonstandard sized integer.

> So, you have to ask yourself whether it is worth jamming down everyone's
> throats to get it in after the beta goes out.  For my money, the feature
> request has already consumed more developer resources than it could ever
> save.

Good points Raymond.

If someone decides they want to add it, great, I'll even write some
documentation and field sf.net bug reports and such in regards to the
struct module.  If not, I'll just use binascii and bite my tongue.

My apologies for raising a stink.

 - Josiah