[Python-Dev] Re: Re: Re: subprocess - updated popen5 module

Guido van Rossum gvanrossum at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 17:17:51 CEST 2004

[Guido]
> > I don't know. Writing Windows interface modules is a highly
> > specialized form of torture, requiring arcane expertise.

[Fredrik]
> Despite that, some of us can do this in our sleep (including writing the bindings).
> I find it somewhat sad that some people don't want us to contribute to Python.

Hey, I wrote that in *support* of you!

> While we have you on line, can you pronounce on the subprocess module?  The
> code is written by highly experienced programmers, it has been widely tested,
> it's entirely self-contained, builds and runs under 2.2 and later, has an extensive
> test suite and a PEP (which can be quickly turned into a library reference section),
> and replaces several fragile API:s in the current library with a single, well-defined
> construct.  If this isn't good enough for the standard library, I don't see what is.

I expect it is, and I value your judgement. I have recently
experimented with a cross-platform process management abstraction
myself, and I'd like to check out the subprocess module to make sure
that it can do everything that I put in my own code (not very much but
some specific requirements about I/O redirection, current directory,
and setting the priority. I hope to get back to this later today.