[Python-Dev] Guidelines for Logging Usage

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Wed Oct 6 21:57:05 CEST 2004

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 01:44:58AM +0400, Michael P. Dubner wrote:
> I'm posting PEProposal for discussion. Last part is reasoning for
> posting it in this hot time.

I like this proposal; it begins to impose some degree of sanity on the
standard library.

(If you want editing help with the grammar and text of the PEP, let me
know; I'll happily polish the wording.)

>         logging.getLogger('stdlib.BaseHTTPServer').setLevel(logging.FATAL)

There's been discussion in the past of having a name for the Python
standard library, so that 'from <name> import httplib' would always
get the standard httplib module.  This name should match whatever's
using in the logging, so the logging should use a name everyone is
happy with using in import statements.  Whether that's stdlib or std
or __std__ or Lib isn't important, as long as the logging matches.

PEP 8 should also gain some text encouraging the use of the logging
module in code and describing the dummy.junk convention.

--amk