[Python-Dev] Re: Utility scripts

Garth T Kidd garthk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 03:48:01 CEST 2004

>>> - Change the Windows Python binary to add .py (and .pyw, maybe) to
>>> PATHEXT
>>
>> I don't like that.  The Python Windows installer doesn't add, or
>> modify, any environment variables now.  It's anti-social to muck with
>> them.

Half the software on my workstation has changed environment variables,
social or not. To me, it's less social to leave me to manually change
PATHEXT. I'd much rather have Python add its extensions to PATHEXT --
and also have distutils add .py to the extension of Python scripts
dropped into the Scripts directory.

I used to be a control freak, but now I'm a control freak with kids,
and the utter lack of spare time really changes one's perspective on
such things. :)

Regards,
Garth.