'-m' option (was RE: [Python-Dev] ConfigParser patches)

Ilya Sandler ilya at bluefir.net
Mon Oct 4 19:33:26 CEST 2004

> To summarise the differences between the two approaches:
>
> Pros (-m over runpy.py, in order of significance as I see it):
>   - easy to combine with other Python command line options
>   - OS & environment independent
>   - easier to use with a non-installed interpreter
>   - no work for Python packaging folks
>   - more concise to invoke
>   - no namespace issues with naming a script
>   - C API for those embedding python

There is one more small pro: easier to version: e.g if there are multiple
installed versions of python on your machine, you could could invoke a
module from a particular python version:

python2.4 -m pydoc

with a wrapper script you will need a wrapper per version...(Or some way
to find/invoke the right version of python from the wrapper)

Ilya