[Python-Dev] Trouble installing 2.4

Andrew Koenig ark at acm.org
Tue Nov 30 18:49:38 CET 2004

I'm using Windows XP SP2.

Uninstalled 2.3, installed 2.4 (running as me, not as administrator).
No problems so far.

Tried installing pywin32-203.win32-py2.4.exe

When I try to install it as me, it gets as far as "ready to install."  When
I click Next, it says

	Can't load Python for pre-install script

and quits, even though earlier it said it had found Python 2.4 in the
registry.

When I try to install it as Administrator, it quits immediately, saying that
it couldn't locate a Python 2.4 installation.

My hypothesis: When I install 2.4 as me, it puts it in my user registry, not
the system-wide registry, and then pywin32 can't find it.

I'm going to unstall and try again as Administrator.