[Python-Dev] Python 2.4, MS .NET 1.1 and distutils

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Nov 26 17:49:16 CET 2004

Thomas Heller wrote:
> "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal at egenix.com> writes:
>

>>I just tried to compile some extensions on Win XP with .NET 1.1
>>and Python 2.4c1 installed.
>>
>>It turns out that the distutils recognition logic for finding
>>a suitable C compiler is not able to find the compiler by simply
>>looking at the PATH, INCLUDE and LIB settings of the OS instead
>>of poking around in the registry :-)
>>
>>Now since extensions for 2.4 will have to be built using the
>>same compiler as Python itself (the one that comes with VC7.1
>>which is the same as the one in the freely downloadable
>>.NET 1.1 SDK), I would suggest to make distutils aware of the
>>compiler by looking on the PATH in case the registry doesn't
>>have the VC7.1 entries.
>
> I always wondered if non-present registry entries wouldn't mean that the
> MSVC installation is broken.

Not at all: their C compiler works just fine once you setup
the OS environment by loading the sdkvars.bat file.

> OTOH, I always used the official MS IDEs,
> and never tried their free compilers - is this desire related to the
> free ones?

Yes. distutils doesn't need any IDE to compile extensions,
just a compiler and a command line :-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Nov 26 2004)