[Python-Dev] Python 2.4, MS .NET 1.1 and distutils

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Fri Nov 26 17:36:54 CET 2004

On 26-nov-04, at 17:27, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>> Now since extensions for 2.4 will have to be built using the
>> same compiler as Python itself (the one that comes with VC7.1
>> which is the same as the one in the freely downloadable
>> .NET 1.1 SDK)
>
> My understanding is that these are not exactly the same compilers;
> I recall that the freely-redistributable one lacks support for
> optimization.

That's not what their download page says:

<quote href="http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/">
Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003

  The Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 includes the core tools
developers need to compile and link C++-based applications for Windows
and the .NET Common Language Runtime:

	• 	Microsoft C/C++ Optimizing Compiler and Linker.  These are the same
compiler and linker that ship with Visual Studio .NET 2003
Professional!
</quote>

Ronald
--
X|support bv            http://www.xsupport.nl/
T:  +31 610271479       F:  +31 204416173