[Python-Dev] Re: syntactic shortcut - unpack to variably sized list

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 16:55:38 CET 2004

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 13:41:19 +1000, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Terry Reedy wrote:
> > This issue has come up enough that a PEP would be useful (if there isn't
> > one already).
>
> Nope, I had a look. I've got a draft one attached, though - it combines
> rejecting the syntax change with adding the other changes Carlos and I have
> suggested. If people think it's worth pursuing, I'll fire it off to the PEP editors.

I may be wrong (and if that's the case, I would like to be politely
educated on why), but isn't it already on a PEP-worthy point? IOW, if
people are not interested, then the PEP will simply be rejected, which
is a good thing, because it will at least document the case. I also
believe that the pre-PEP should be posted to the main Python list,
where it may be beaten to death & flamed by a larger audience. I am
willing to do it myself, but I assume that is more polite on my part
if I ask you to do it :-)

<PEP boilerplate & rationale snipped>
> Reference Implementation
>
> As yet, no reference implementation is available for either part of the proposal.

I though the iunpack() code in the previous section would be
acceptable as a 'reference implementation'.

> Open Issues
>
> - Should ``itertools.iunpack`` call ``iter()`` on its first argument?

+1