[Python-Dev] Current CVS, Cygwin and "make test"

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at iinet.net.au
Fri Nov 19 16:03:42 CET 2004

This was meant to be a "Yup, she's all good" exercise before 2.4 final goes out
the door.

Not quite so simple, unfortunately. . . (FWIW, I doubt this is a Python problem,
but I'd like some of the other folks here who use Cygwin to have a look at the
failure symptoms)

My Python build (built & running under Cygwin) seems to be having trouble with
any tests involving threads (test_asynchat, test_thread, test_threaded_import,
test_socket_ssl for starters).

When run using "./python -E Lib/test/regrtest.py -unetwork,decimal -r", several
tests execute normally, then the test execution hangs. From what I can tell, the
hang generally occurs on the first test that makes use of threading.

When run on their own, the affected tests run for a short while, then terminate
abruptly (i.e. regrtest.py doesn't print its result summary, and the output from
the tests themselves shows they haven't run to completion).

I suspect (hope?) that the problem is actually in my Cygwin setup rather than in
Python, but I'm trying to figure out how to go about proving that. I did a 'make
clean' and rebuild to see if stale files were the problem, then a 'make install'
to see if the problem was accidentally picking the old python2.3 DLL's instead
of the python2.4 DLL's, but neither of those appeared to make any difference.

I only got the regression tests working *at all* today, after doing 'find .
-name "\.dll" | rebaseall -T -' from my python/dist/src directory to get rid of
the Cygwin remap errors when loading DLL's.

I figured I'd ask the folks here for ideas (is Jason still around?), before
trying to ask the question from the Cygwin end.

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan               |     Brisbane, Australia
Email: ncoghlan at email.com  | Mobile: +61 409 573 268