[Python-Dev] Looking for authoritative documentation on packages, import & ihooks

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Nov 16 21:19:34 CET 2004

At 08:58 PM 11/16/04 +0100, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>Tim Peters wrote:
>>I'm not sure this is OT for python-dev.  There are many cases
>>involving circular and kinda-circular imports, with and without
>>packages, where the Python docs say nothing about what must, should,
>>or can happen.
>
>Not sure what "this" is, here. The import machinery certainly is
>on-topic. The question "where do I find more documentation" is
>off-topic.

That was not what the OP asked; the clear intent of the request was what
documentation should be considered *authoritative* on the matter, as well
as what approaches were to be *preferred*.  IMO those sound like items that
request the judgment and/or "blessing" of the Python development team, in
the absence of any clearly authoritative documents or statements like
"such-and-such is the new approach, so-and-so is the old".

Further, the OP:

1. Requested info on python-list first
2. Googled for, and read, the appropriate documentation
3. Raised issues regarding the documentation, and stated an intent to file
bug reports with more specifics

ISTM these good faith efforts should give someone a little bit more benefit
of the doubt in a borderline case...  not that this particular case seemed
at all borderline to me.