[Python-Dev] Looking for authoritative documentation on packages, import & ihooks

Jeremy Hylton jhylton at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 20:35:46 CET 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 20:20:20 +0100, Martin v. Löwis <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> Carlos Ribeiro wrote:
> > For this reason, I
> > would like to know if there is any document which may be considered
> > "authoritative" for the import system (besides ihooks.py and
> > import.c).
>
> This question is OT for python-dev.
>
> Python is open source, so what is wrong with reading import.c?

import.c isn't a document that purports to describe the interface that
import will support over time.  import.c has surely got good clues,
but I don't find it particularly easy to read.  It's a snapshot of
code that may or may not implement that interface correctly.

The question seems OT to me.

Jeremy