[Python-Dev] Re: Synchronous and Asynchronous servers in the standard library

Jp Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Thu Nov 11 03:17:40 CET 2004

On 10 Nov 2004 20:28:46 -0500, David Bolen <db3l at fitlinxx.com> wrote:
>"Martin v. L�wis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes:
>
> [snip]
>
> For my part, in terms of integrating non-socket sources, I'd probably
> be just as happy if Python permitted it's own Queue.Queue to be
> selectable, since then I could just have a separate thread with a
> native Win32 wait object loop, pumping information into the queue.
> But the basic nature of the fundamantal threading constructs Queue is
> built on would probably make that difficult, if possible at all.

  This isn't very difficult.  See _UnixWaker/_Win32Waker at in http://cvs.twistedmatrix.com./cvs/trunk/twisted/internet/default.py?view=markup&rev=12283&root=Twisted

  Building a "selectable Queue" on top of the "wakeUp" primitive is a handful of lines at most.  Of course, with the deferToThread() function already built on top of it, the selectable Queue concept doesn't seem quite as attractive anymore.

  Jp