[Python-Dev] Re: Policy about old Python versions

Tony Meyer t-meyer at ihug.co.nz
Mon Nov 8 22:52:44 CET 2004

> I find stuff like
> much harder to read than the proper
>  http://python.org/sf/531205
>
> Even worse is
> versus something like
>(both quoted from http://python.org/sf/548176)
>
> SourceForge is designed (intentionally, I am sure)
> to accept and properly display the latter
> and not require chicken-scratch input.

Actually, this is almost certainly the result of a SF glitch (from around
the start of the year, IIRC).  At that time, all SF trackers (comments,
summary, etc) had '<' converted to &lt; (etc).  There's no way to edit the
existing comments, so the trackers are permanently stuck like that.  The SF
people themselves indicated that they would not be able to fix any, except
manually, and that would only be done where there was a real need (I can't
think of any example of that).

You'll find examples of this in lots of project trackers that are suitably
old.  Python was probably hit harder than some, since the '>' character is
probably reasonably common in comments.

=Tony.Meyer