[Python-Dev] Re: interlocking dependencies on the path to a release

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Nov 6 11:12:55 CET 2004

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> I've dabbled in the guts of latex2html before; it's certainly not pretty.

I wouldn't look into the source of latex2html at all. Instead, I would
rewrite it from scratch, worrying only that the output stays the same
(or sufficiently similar).

> IMO a better long term option might be to use the Python docutils and
> migrate to reStructuredText, since there are a bevy of backends
> available for latex, PDF, HTML, etc.  They would probably need more work
> before they'll be suitable to handle the entire doc generation process,
> though.

I'm not convinced this would be a good idea. Having TeX as the primary
source allows to produce well-formatted printed documentation.

Regards,
Martin