[Python-Dev] Re: interlocking dependencies on the path to a release

Brett C. bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Nov 5 20:42:43 CET 2004

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 11:50 AM 11/5/04 +0000, Michael Hudson wrote:
>
>> "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes:
>>
>> > Also, I think it would be good to eliminate Fred's role altogether:
>> > the documentation build process should be much more automatic, and
>> > less relying on third-party tools. I think aiming at rewriting ht2html
>> > in Python for 2.5 would be a worthwhile goal (I have dropped the
>> > idea that conversion to xml would be worthwhile).
>>
>> Err, do you mean latex2html?  If so, I'm not at all sure that's
>> realistic.
>

> I've dabbled in the guts of latex2html before; it's certainly not pretty.
>
> IMO a better long term option might be to use the Python docutils and
> migrate to reStructuredText, since there are a bevy of backends
> available for latex, PDF, HTML, etc.  They would probably need more work
> before they'll be suitable to handle the entire doc generation process,
> though.

This has been proposed before but has been shot down.  If I remember correctly
the reasoning was that LaTeX gave us more control and thus served the purpose
better for the official docs.

-Brett