[Python-Dev] Re: interlocking dependencies on the path to a release

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Nov 5 16:24:24 CET 2004

At 11:50 AM 11/5/04 +0000, Michael Hudson wrote:
>"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes:
>
> > Also, I think it would be good to eliminate Fred's role altogether:
> > the documentation build process should be much more automatic, and
> > less relying on third-party tools. I think aiming at rewriting ht2html
> > in Python for 2.5 would be a worthwhile goal (I have dropped the
> > idea that conversion to xml would be worthwhile).
>
>Err, do you mean latex2html?  If so, I'm not at all sure that's
>realistic.

I've dabbled in the guts of latex2html before; it's certainly not pretty.

IMO a better long term option might be to use the Python docutils and
migrate to reStructuredText, since there are a bevy of backends available
for latex, PDF, HTML, etc.  They would probably need more work before
they'll be suitable to handle the entire doc generation process, though.