[Python-Dev] Re: interlocking dependencies on the path to a release

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Nov 4 22:06:08 CET 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 18:17, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:

> I think aiming at rewriting ht2html
> in Python for 2.5 would be a worthwhile goal (I have dropped the
> idea that conversion to xml would be worthwhile).

Did you mean the Doc/perl stuff instead of ht2html?  The latter is
already Python (but you knew that).

> Then, the release manager could trivially build the documentation.
> For that to work, it is necessary that the documentation builds out
> of the box; for that to happen, it is necessary that a broad audience
> can build the documentation, so that problems are detected long
> before the release (i.e. short after a checkin - or better yet,
> before). For the PostScript/PDF release, one certainly needs TeX,
> but that is free software.

Actually, building the html documentation isn't hard, and I generally do
it whenever I'm making a change to .tex files.  I may not always write
Fred-happy markup but I try to make sure it's at least syntactically
correct.  It's also a useful thing to have around for when there's no
net access.

-Barry