[Python-Dev] TRUNK FROZEN for 2.4b2 release from 0000UTC 3rd November (tomorrrow)

Brett C. bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Nov 4 05:24:53 CET 2004

Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On Nov 3, 2004, at 18:26, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>
>> Bob Ippolito wrote:
>>
>>> Argh!  It's nothing crazy, it removes incorrect linker flags and
>>> delegates two Mac-specific API functions to where they belong.
>>

>> I think Brett's thinking is that if this was a serious problem,
>> it should have been fixed months ago. The fact that nobody bothered
>> pushing that change before 2.4b1 indicates that the problem is not
>> serious. As an incompatible change that fixes a non-serious problem,
>> it shouldn't be applied before 2.5, in accordance with PEP 5
>> (which says that an incompatible change must see a deprecation first).

Exactly.  It's too late in the release cycle for me to put it in unless Anthony
says it is okay.

> The thing is that the incompatible change is going in, but the
> compatible changes (the reason for the incompatible change) are not.
> This is very peculiar.

Not really.  Only one function is being removed.  The function rearrangement is
not under discussion here.  Plus there is the issue of testing.  I obviously
checked it out and it seems to work, but this is build stuff which can be touchy.

If Anthony clears applying all the full patch I will, but otherwise I am
playing it safe and waiting until 2.5 .

-Brett