[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 309 re-written

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Wed Mar 31 16:54:20 EST 2004

Peter Harris <scav at blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> Hi
>
> The latest version of PEP 309 has been published in the usual place. I
> hope much of the woollyness (sp?) of the early versions has been
> sheared off, leaving more ..um..
> [metaphor panic!] .. mutton?
>
> I have settled on calling the whole thing "partial function
> application",

Thank you!  The functional programming community (of which I'm
probably not really a member ;-> ) thanks you!

> broadly including object methods, classes and other callable
> objects.  I want to name the constructor partial(), because that
> name will do for now and doesn't do violence to accepted terminology
> the way curry() or closure() would.

<snip>

> Not sure what sort of feedback the PEP needs before review, so I'm
> open to any comments about the wording of the proposal and the
> usefulness or otherwise of its intent.
>
> If anyone can think of any really elegant hacks that are naturally
> expressed by partial function application I'd like to see them

There are millions, but AFAICT they're all more natural with lambda,
so...

        "I agree that lambda is usually good enough, just not
        always."

Examples, please?

        "And I want the possibility of useful introspection and
        subclassing"

Can you elaborate on that, please?

--
Dave Abrahams