[Python-Dev] PEP 318: Decorators last before colon

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Mar 30 18:17:55 EST 2004

At 02:58 PM 3/30/04 -0800, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>3) This will be attractive (better than putting special mark-up in
>    docstrings), so there will be lots of voluminous decorators.
>
>4) Then the "important" decorators like classmethod will be hidden at
>    the end of the list of decorators.

Hm.  So if we reversed the order so that the outermost decorators (such as
classmethod) come first in the list, would that sway you to relent in favor
of decorators-after-arguments?  I don't like the reversed order, but I
think I'd be a lot more comfortable with explaining that relatively minor
semantic oddity to other developers than I would be with trying to explain
the major syntactic oddity (relative to the rest of the Python language) of
decorators-before-def.