[Python-Dev] PEP 318: Set attribs with .name = value

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Tue Mar 30 06:35:53 EST 2004

Ka-Ping Yee <python-dev at zesty.ca> writes:

> Someone suggested the following syntax for setting function attributes:
>
>     def func(arg, arg):
>         .author = 'Guido van Rossum'
>         .version = 42

[...]

I don't really see what this has to do with PEP 318, apart from the
fact that it impacts the syntax and compilation of function
definitions.

PEP 318 enables this:

    def func(arg1, arg2) [attrs(author='Guido van Rossum',
                                version=42)]:

which is less pretty, but also less effort.

I also thought the whole 'special syntax for function attributes'
discussion was very dead indeed.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  You have run into the classic Dmachine problem: your machine has
  become occupied by a malevolent spirit.  Replacing hardware or