[Python-Dev] Timing for Py2.4

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Mar 29 18:54:21 EST 2004

> Raymond Hettinger wrote:
> > If I volunteer to do the release, would there be any objections to
> > targeting late May or early June for the first alpha?

Anthony Baxter replied:
> It really depends on how many of the big-ticket items are going to be
> in the release. Remember: a 2.4 that's broken is far, far, far worse
> than a 2.4 that's 6-8 weeks later.
>
> Python's release cycle has historically been cautious and measured.
> I really don't see why we need to rush this one.

Indeed.

In the past, the real test for any version has been the final release
-- the alpha and beta releases get very little exercise except by some
diehards.  They are still necessary because *some* important folks
take them seriously, but don't expect that a flawless alpha + beta
means a perfect final release.

I seem to recall that betas and release candidates are fairly good for
finding portability problems, but issues with new functionality
usually don't come to the light until months after the final release,
when people have started writing real code using them.  That's why
there will be a 2.4.1 release...