[Python-Dev] Re: method decorators (PEP 318)

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Mar 28 22:15:23 EST 2004

Casey Duncan <casey at zope.com>:

> For some reason I thought there was a philosophical objection to 'with'
> in Python. Must have been an urban myth I guess.

I think it's considered to have quite a low priority,
since it wouldn't buy you much. Binding a nice short
temporary name to the with-ed object is almost as
concise and arguably clearer.

By the way, I happen to think there are better uses
to which the word 'with' could be put, e.g. the
suggestion of making

  with lock(foo):
    do_something()

mean something like