[Python-Dev] Moving from PYTHONDIR/config to pkgconfig

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Mar 26 08:27:18 EST 2004

> Currently, python has it's own private config system that external modules
> can use, which is centered around e.g., /usr/lib/python2.3/config/.
>
> More and more modern tools are being converted to use a standardized
> pkgconfig system, at least on Linux systems.  I hope python can also be
> moved in this direction.

Without your contribution, it is very unlikely that anything will happen.

Even with a contribution, things might not change. It is important that
old mechanisms of accessing the build infrastructure continue to work,
so any new mechanism would have to be an add-on on top of the
existing infrastructure.

Regards,
Martin