[Python-Dev] Python startup time: String objects

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Mar 25 14:49:50 EST 2004

> Even with cPickle?

AFAIR: Yes. It was not orders of magnitude slower anymore,
but significantly slower.

> I'm still worried about your patch, because it changes all uses of
> marchal, not just how code objects are marshalled.  The marshal module
> *is* used by other apps...

The change is backwards-compatible in the sense that existing files can
be unmarshalled just fine. Problems will only arise if new marshal output
is unmarshalled by old versions, which could be solved with an option
during marshalling.

Regards,
Martin