[Python-Dev] Threading, NPTL, CPU affinity, Linux 2.6, etc.

Dennis Allison allison at sumeru.stanford.EDU
Tue Mar 23 21:01:05 EST 2004

I'm not sure if this is the right forum at this point for these issues.
I've been lurking on the list for a while now and don't remember any
traffic directed at these issues.

With NPTL the threading model changes.  It's mostly a Linux 2.6 issue.
What if any changes are needed to make Python stable in a NPTL environment
and what changes might we want to take advantage of the improved
performace and new features.

Along the same lines, some kernels now support CPU affinity.  It's a low
level scheduling issue, but necessary to avoid with certainty problems
with the GIL.  Do we want to expose some of the controls in Python?  How
do these controls interact with processes and threads?

	-dra