[Python-Dev] A proposal has surfaced on comp.lang.python to redefine "is"

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Mar 17 20:13:09 EST 2004

> Therefore, the proposal is to change the definition of "is" as
> follows:

I completely fail to see what the problem is that this is purporting
to solve. You don't use 'is' to compare integers, unless for some very
special reason you care whether they're actually the same object. Most
of the time you don't care, so you use '=='. The "anomalies" you
mention are only a problem in the minds of newbies who haven't
actually used Python very much, as far as I can see.

> Is this idea worth considering?  If not, why not?

IMO, it's not worth considering, because its utility is zero
considering the way Python is used in practice.