[Python-Dev] dateutil

Gustavo Niemeyer niemeyer at conectiva.com
Mon Mar 15 10:34:54 EST 2004

> >> In dateutil, I think it's d + relativedelta(months=+1, day=1, days=-1).
> >> Arguably, this is fairly trivial (highly non-obvious, but trivial...)
> >
> > Yes, it'd work, but "d + relativedelta(day=31)" would be enough.
>
> Hmm, I feel vaguely uncomfortable actually relying on the "round down out
> of range values" behaviour. Presumably day=1000 would also work, and would
> look even stranger to me :-)

This was a design decision, and I confess I'm pretty satisfied
by the results of this decision. This simple decision created
consistent and expectable results for operations which are not
obvious. Also, without this feature, I see almost no reason for
using this class instead of timedelta.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net