[Python-Dev] dateutil

Gustavo Niemeyer niemeyer at conectiva.com
Thu Mar 11 16:51:03 EST 2004

> That's not what I was asking.

Oops.. sorry then.

> I realize that generating the recurrences themselves is important, but
> it's not the only important thing.  Getting from the English (or
> Portuguese ;-) that a user would use as input is just as important to
> me as having the recurrence classes available to generate a stream of
> dates.  For example, this does work using recur:
[...]
> The point is, the Recurrence class in the recur module seems to have
> some hooks builtin for this sort of stuff, but it's not been fleshed
> out very well.  A PEP with some sample implementations might go a long
> way to making a more complete implementation available.  The
> documentation seems to be missing that would help me add it.  I think
> there is technology there which doesn't exist in dateutil.  Correct me
> if I'm wrong.

No, it doesn't implement any english specific statement parsing, and I
confess I don't have it in my current todo list. If you belive that
dateutil is not worth for the standard library without an english
recurrence parsing, I respect your opinion. I'll maintain it as an
extension in my own site then.

> Perhaps recur.Recurrence just needs a little more work so it can
> handle some common timekeeping phraseology:
[...]

Yeah.. this module might be better indeed.

> I'll restate my suggestion that maybe a PEP for this stuff would be a
> good idea.  I think it would be a reasonable idea to check both recur
> and dateutil into the nondist/sandbox so other people can take a whack
> at them.

Not needed. dateutil is already released, and being used in real
world applications. You may get it at the following URL if you
want it:

https://moin.conectiva.com.br/DateUtil

Thanks for discussing!

--