[Python-Dev] dateutil

Brett C. bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Mar 11 16:04:26 EST 2004

Tim Peters wrote:
> [Gerrit]

<SNIP - use case of a date two weeks from one and my bumbling attempt at
doing it with the stdlib as it stand now>

> I'm not grasping the perceived difficulty with this specific use case:

> datetime.date(2004, 3, 9)
>

> I suppose it's possible that Gerrit finds "relativedelta" easier to type for
> some reason <wink>.

=)

Before I give my vote on DateUtil I know I would love to hear Gustavo
give a quick comparison to datetime in terms of what DateUtil provides
over datetime.  For instance, as Tim showed above (I should have known
there was a better way with datetime than with my nutty way of doing
it), datetime supports time deltas.  So why should we use DateUtil's or
what should we try to take from it?  Same for parser (compared to
strptime) and tz (compared to tzinfo).  I could obviously stare at the
wiki and datetime docs, but I am sure Gustavo can give a better overview
than I could glean on my own.

The rrule idea does sound cool and could be neat to add to datetime.  I
can see having an iterator for these things being useful to someone
(unless I am making myself partially look like a fool again by having
this be in datetime already without me realizing it).

-Brett