[Python-Dev] PEP 318 - generality of list; restrictions on elements

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Mar 11 05:45:48 EST 2004

Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 11, 2004, Greg Ewing wrote:
>> Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com>:
>>>
>>> * A single identifier (which must be a callable)
>>>
>>> * Comma-separated list of identifiers (which must be callables)
>>>
>>> * Arbitrary expression (which must produce a sequence of callables)
>>
>> You left out
>>
>>   * Comma-separated list of arbitrary expressions
>>
>> which is the one I'm in favor of.
>
> If we allow truly arbitrary expressions, that comes for free, by
> definition.  ;-)

Yes, but that's not the point!  What my patch currently allows is a
'exprlist', whuch is a "comma-separated list of arbitrary
expressions", and is The Only Sane Choice (tm).  Allowing a listmaker
(or whatever that production is called) and so list comprehensions is
barmy.

Besides, a literal reading of

Arbitrary expression (which must produce a sequence of callables)

would suggest

def foo [staticmethod] ():
    pass

was in error!

Cheers,
mwh

--
  Now this is what I don't get.  Nobody said absolutely anything
  bad about anything.  Yet it is always possible to just pull