[Python-Dev] calculator module

thanos vassilakis latentthanos at mac.com
Wed Mar 10 21:21:11 EST 2004

This has been an interesting thread....

I have an hp12c.py module written with my own python c extension of
implementation of the Mike Cowlishaw (IEEE 754R + IEEE 854 + ANSI
X3.274 +  ECMA 334) specs.
This  decimal.c module is in production on the floor of the a very
large New York exchange. I have been kind of waiting for the dust to
settle on  Facundo's work.  Then I would conform my module to what the
python community finally decides. The module has been in production for
over eight months, it has most of the  common Transcendentals and other
interesting stuff, but only implements an emulation of decPacked.  My
first version had the decimal ops as Context methods . Developers
complained that it was not intuitive. So I was forced to create concept
of named context scope, but I have never been happy with this.  It very
fast

To demo and test the module I wrote a full emulation of the hp12c, TZYX
stack and all. Most of the algorithms used for  IRR, Bond yield, dates
etc, appeared in an article I wrote in the Algorithms Journal in 1987
and we used Cyril Drimer, Mark Tsang  and I in the numerical package,
Num++, we developed for Zortech's (later sold by Symantec ) C++
compiler. These algorithms are also documented on the back of the HP12c
manual (beware of the errors in the equations !!)

Now how should I release it ? I will be having my first vacation for
over 19 months in a few weeks, may be this will be a good time to clean
it up and extend to meet the decimal number PEP.... any suggestions.

thanos

The question is how to release this in the public domain.