[Python-Dev] PEP 318 - generality of list; restrictions on elements

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed Mar 10 11:30:59 EST 2004

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> In any case, *I* would prefer not to let the semantics require
> anything, and to make this just a (preferred) shorthand for applying
> arbitrary transformations to something that starts out as a function.

All right, I've done my duty as the Loyal Opposition ;-), and I don't
care enough to keep arguing.

That still leaves the question for what *is* allowed within the
brackets.  AFAICT, the options are

* A single identifier (which must be a callable)

* Comma-separated list of identifiers (which must be callables)

* Arbitrary expression (which must produce a sequence of callables)

BTW, have we agreed on the order in which decorators will be applied?

"Do not taunt happy fun for loops. Do not change lists you are looping over."
--Remco Gerlich, comp.lang.python