[Python-Dev] PEP 318 - generality of list; restrictions on elements

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Mon Mar 8 15:45:30 EST 2004

On Monday 08 March 2004 03:27 pm, Skip Montanaro wrote:
 > Yes.  I was thinking of the case where we wanted it to return something
 > useful which could be bound to the name "foo".  I suppose if you've had

And I certainly expect that's the typical case; I was mostly reacting to your
use of the word "must" rather than the idea.  When I read "must", that tells
me someone is going to check that in the mechanism rather than just passing
it on.

 > too much caffeine you could dream up a case where w1() returns an AST
 > based on the original foo and w2() does something with it to cook up a new
 > object, but I suspect that would be pretty rare.

Defining foo to some useful object doesn't imply that it's callable, or that
it can't be further transformed in useful ways.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation