[Python-Dev] VC 7.1 maintenance?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Jun 27 03:46:58 EDT 2004

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> They must be assuming that the run-time library is "compiler helper"
> stuff, eg-but-not-limited-to code to handle long long ints and set up
> the C++ exception and global constructors, etc.  So msvcrt should be
> fine.  The interpretation is that this is code whose presence is
> mandated in one form or another by the language definition.

I think the reasoning is different: in order to run software, you
need an operating system. It is ok if free software doesn't ship
with its own operating system, but if users of the software already
have an operating system. Likewise, it is ok if free software doesn't
ship with the compiler to compile it - users who want to build the
software are expected to obtain a copy of the compiler.

Therefore, users can be expected to have everything that comes with
the operating system, and everything that comes with the compiler.
Therefore, it is ok to assume that people already have a copy
of msvcr71.dll if they want to use VC7.1 to build something.

Regards,
Martin