[Python-Dev] Re: VC 7.1 maintenance?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Jun 16 22:06:25 EDT 2004

"Tim Peters" <tim.one at comcast.net> wrote in message
news:E1BakeY-00026a-00 at deer.gmane.org...
> [M.-A. Lemburg]
> > Are we going to have a VC7.1 binary of Python 2.4 for Windows ?
>
> That's indeed my understanding of The Plan today.  More, we will not have
> VC6 binary for Python 2.4.  That may be controversial, but nobody has
> volunteered to produce an installer for a VC6 version.

Just today, I got the announcement of this:
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/APIWar.html
which has a link to this
http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/
which describes the free download for Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 .

Is VC2003 a fancier name for VC7.1? or at least binary compatible?
Will this allow people to compile extensions without $$ to MS?

Terry J. Reedy