[Python-Dev] Bug day outcome

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Jun 6 17:54:37 EDT 2004

Nick Bastin wrote:
> I'm not so sure of that.  Obviously, many of the problems with SF have
> to do with the number of projects that they're hosting.  One would hope
> that the load would be a lot less just supporting Python developers.
> Does anybody have any stats on how many CVS checkouts are done on a
> daily basis?  We could rough up some numbers on how much bandwidth we'd
> need to support that.

I don't think even SF has such numbers. However, bandwidth is not a
problem - the PSF is willing to reimburse anybody hosting the Python CVS
for bandwidth (although donations are certainly welcome).

The issue is providing timely service: what if the system runs out of
memory, gets cracked by a hacker, a new committer needs to be added,
the sendmail installation gets stuck because some commit messages cannot
be delivered to some recipient, and so on.

Such a system needs permanent hand-holding. Certainly, the number of
projects that SF hosts do cause delays in timely responses. OTOH,
they also have many more full-time people for hand-holding than we
will ever get.

Regards,
Martin