[Python-Dev] Python bug day?

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Thu Jun 3 10:58:00 EDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 02:42:29PM +1200, Tony Meyer wrote:
> Are these generated by SourceForge?  If so, note that the same problem
> affecting viewcvs and anonymous cvs is also affecting the tarballs as well.

No, the page links to the CVS snapshots provided by the Perl
developers: http://cvs.perl.org/snapshots/python/python/ .  Checking
the tree, it's slightly out of date; the newest files in the tree
dated 06/03 only show changes up to 05/29, but that's close enough.

If worst comes to worst, I could always make a tarball Saturday
morning and drop it on python.org.  (If the bug tracker goes down on
Saturday, we're screwed, though.)

SourceForge-related: in the past running our own SF setup has been
suggested, but the general opinion (my own included) has been that the
administrative burden would be too much effort.

Recently I chatted with Rich Kilmer, whose company specializes in
setting up the GForge software for organizational use.  They run
http://www.semwebcentral.org/ for DARPA and a large internal site for
Xerox, for example, and also donate the effort for a GForge for
Ruby-based projects (www.rubyforge.org).  He said the day-to-day task
of running RubyForge only takes up a few hours a week, a surprisingly
low figure.  Setting up GForge for the first time is still pretty
complicated, but he offered to donate some engineer time to help;
they've gotten pretty good at it.  I believe they also sell
preconfigured machines that will run a GForge setup; if we deemed it
worthwhile to run our own, the PSF could purchase such a machine.

--amk